Custom Search 1

Abduction of teenage schoolgirls in Nigeria a 'cowardly act'

DEVASTATION: Over 70 people died in Abuja following two blasts on Monday (Apr 14)

FOREIGN SECRETARY William Hague has branded the abduction of over 100 teenage school girls in Northern Nigeria a “cowardly act.”

Gunmen reportedly arrived at Chibok government secondary in Borno, late on Monday (Apr 14) and ordered the hostel's teenage residents on to lorries.

The attack, which came just hours after a deadly bus bombing in the capital of Abuja killed 70 people, is believed to have been carried out by Islamist group Boko Haram, which means 'Western education is forbidden' in the local Hausa language.

In the statement to media, Nigerian military spokesman Major General Chris Olukolade said one of the "terrorists" involved in Monday's abduction had been captured and confirmed 93 out of the 100 teenagers were released yesterday (Apr 16).

Hague has vowed to help Nigeria in fighting Boko Haram, a terrorist insurgent which become prominent during the tenure of President Goodluck.

Reacting to the abduction, Hague said: “I am appalled by the abduction of up to 100 school girls in Borno State, in northern Nigeria. My thoughts and deepest sympathies are with them, and with their families.

"We stand ready to provide assistance to help the Nigerian government ensure that these children can be returned to their families in safety, and to bring to justice those responsible."

He added: "This attack follows other reports of Boko Haram’s abduction of women and girls, the barbaric murder of schoolchildren and the use of sexual violence. There is no possible justification for such callous acts, that intentionally target the most vulnerable people in the cruellest way.

"The UK is a firm ally and friend of the people of Nigeria and we will continue to offer staunch support and assistance as they combat the threat posed by Boko Haram, and address the wider issues raised by this attack.”

Facebook Comments