OUTBREAK: Cuba confirms 51 cholera Cases
CUBA'S PUBLIC Health Ministry confirmed 51 new cases of cholera in the capital amid growing concerns about the illness' spread and disappointment in the diplomatic community over the government's lack of transparency.
The ministry said nobody had died from the latest outbreak, which began January 6.
It also stressed that preventive measures have already been taken to put the disease "on the way to extinction”.
Traces of cholera was first detected in the capital's Cerro neighborhood, and then spread elsewhere. No other areas of the capital were mentioned, but there have been unconfirmed reports of cases in the leafy Playa neighborhood that is home to many foreign embassies.
The government has not responded to repeated requests for comment in recent months, nor has it made any experts available to talk about the cholera situation.
The family of one of the victims, 46-year-old Ubaldo Pino Rodriguez, told The Associated Press last week that he died of cholera in Cerro on January 2, about two weeks after going to the hospital with severe vomiting.
Rodriguez's sister, Yanise Pino, said her brother had a drinking problem and lived in squalid and unhygienic conditions in a tiny makeshift wooden dwelling.
Cholera is a waterborne disease caused by a bacteria found in tainted water or food. It can kill within hours through dehydration, but is treatable if caught in time.
The illness is unusual in Cuba however, recent outbreaks in nearby Haiti have killed more than 7,200 people.