Custom Search 1

Doc: Muamba was dead for over an hour


DOCTORS HAVE revealed that footballer Fabrice Muamba was not breathing for 78 minutes following his cardiac arrest on Saturday, March 17, at White Hart Lane.

The 23-year-old Bolton Wanderers midfielder collapsed on the pitch after 41 minutes of the first-half against Tottenham as club medics worked frantically to enable his heart to beat again.

Between his collapse and the time that Muamba arrived at the London Chest Hospital in Bethnal Green, east London, medics had worked on Muamba for 48 minutes.

Doctors at the hospital worked on him for a further 30 minutes before his heart began to beat again.

Bolton doctor Jonathan Tobin said: "In effect, he was dead in that time.”

Tobin also stated that Muamba’s heart needed 15 shocks before it started beating.

Bolton manager Owen Coyle gave an update on Muamba’s condition.

"His heart is beating without the help of medication but we remain very much at the beginning of a long-term journey for Fabrice and his family,” said Coyle.

“I have been in to see Fabrice and we had a brief exchange of words. That will remain private.

"Fabrice is a fighter and his family have shown great strength in this testing time. They have been greatly comforted by the huge amount of support they have received from around the world.”

The FA Cup quarter-final between Bolton and Tottenham Hotspur was abandoned following Muamba’s collapse but the fixture has been rescheduled to take place on Tuesday, March 27.

Subscribe to The Voice database!

We'd like to keep in touch with you regarding our daily newsletter, Voice competitions, promotions and marketing material and to further increase our reach with The Voice readers.

If interested, please click the below button to complete the subscription form.

We will never sell your data and will keep it safe and secure.

For further details visit our privacy policy.

You have the right to withdraw at any time, by clicking 'Unsubscribe'.

Facebook Comments