Custom Search 1

Double car bombs kills more than 100 people in Nigeria

DEADLY BLAST: Over 100 people have been killed by a double bombing in the city of Jos

OVER 100 people have been killed by a double bombing in the city of Jos in central Nigeria yesterday (May 20).

The deadly attacks happened at a bus terminal and near a University hospital according to Nigeria's Daily Trust newspaper.

Numbers of the dead have not been confirmed by local police, but a journalist in the area told the BBC that the death toll has reached 40 people, while a spokesperson for the regional governor confirmed to Agence France-Presse that many had been killed, mostly women.

Terrorist organisation Boko Haram has previously targeted Jos, which has seen several deadly clashes between Christian and Muslim groups in recent years.

On Monday four people were killed and five wounded in a suicide blast in the northern Nigerian city of Kano. According to local police a 12-year-old girl was among one of the dead.

Witnesses at the scene say a car bomb exploded outside a restaurant in the Christian neighbourhood of Nigeria ’s second most populous city.

Kano police spokesman Musa Majiya said the bomb struck Gold Coast Street in the Sabon Gari neighborhood.

Last year blasts in the area - named "Strangers' Quarters" in the Hausa language - killed at least 24 people.

And back in March 2013, a suicide bomber drove a car laden with explosives into the neighborhood's busy bus station killing at least 25 people.

The militant group claimed responsibility for two explosions last month in Abuja, the capital in the center of the country, which killed 120 people and wounded more than 200.

Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan described Boko Haram as West Africa's al-Qaeda on Saturday (May 17) in Paris, where regional leaders met France 's President Francois Hollande to discuss how to tackle the terrorist threat.

Boko Haram is fighting to overthrow the Nigerian government and create an Islamic state.They seized more than 200 girls last month in the north-eastern Borno state.

Jonathan, who was due to visit the town from where the girls were abducted, cancelled his visit on Friday (May 16).

There was no reason given for the cancellation.

Annual subscription for The Voice newspaper print edition.

Read more stories like this in our weekly printed newspaper. To purchase an annual subscription and get 50% off, complete the form below and enter the code 'ONLINE2017' - offer ends 30 November.

* indicates required
() - (###) ###-####
Facebook Comments