Custom Search 1

IAAF defend withdrawal of Issac Makwala

OUT: Isaac Makwala

THE IAAF has defended its decision to deny a World Championship athlete to London Stadium amid attempts to control a norovirus outbreak.

Botswana's Isaac Makwala, had hoped to run in Tuesday's (August 8) 400m final, but was barred from competing.

His country's Olympic boss, Falcon Sedimo, said that was "disturbing".

However, according to the BBC the IAAF said it was under instruction to quarantine athletes who showed symptoms of the virus.

Pam Venning, head of medical at the IAAF, told BBC Sport:

"I have to trust my doctors. My role is to ensure the healthcare of all the athletes here and it's a very infectious and very virulent disease."

Venning said "all the other teams" with affected athletes had adhered to IAAF instructions.

The governing body later added:

"The team doctor, team leader and team physio had been informed following the medical examination that the athlete should be quarantined for 48 hours and would therefore be missing the 400m final on Tuesday."

Makwala had been considered the main threat to Olympic champion and world record holder Wayde van Niekerk, who retained his world title by winning Tuesday's race.

Read every story in our hardcopy newspaper for free by downloading the app.

Annual subscription for The Voice newspaper print edition.

Read more stories like this in our weekly printed newspaper. To purchase an annual subscription and get 50% off, complete the form below and enter the code 'ONLINE2017' - offer ends 30 November.

* indicates required
() - (###) ###-####
Facebook Comments