ON TRIAL: Vybz Kartel
SUPREME COURT Judge Lennox Campbell yesterday assured the jurors in dancehall star Vybz Kartel's murder trial that, by next week, the case will go to them for their deliberation.
After the prosecution closed its case on Monday (Feb 10), defence lawyers Christian Tavares-Finson, Pierre Rogers and Michael Lorne made no-case submissions.
When the trial resumed yesterday (Feb 11), no-case submissions were also made by defence lawyers Everton Dewar and Tamika Harris.
The jurors were told to return at 2pm yesterday, when it was expected that the submissions would have been completed. However, when they returned, Jeremy Taylor, senior deputy director of public prosecutions, was responding to the no-case submissions.
Justice Campbell, in asking the jurors to return this morning (Feb 12), reminded them not to discuss the case with anyone and told them that next week, they would deliberate on the case.
Taylor completed his submissions yesterday and the judge is to make a ruling today on the no-case submissions.
Kartel, real name is Adidja Palmer, is charged jointly with entertainer Shawn Campbell, also called 'Shawn Storm'; Kahiro Jones; Shane Williams; and André St John for the murder of Clive 'Lizard' Williams of Waterford, St Catherine.
The Crown is alleging at the trial, which began in November last year, that Williams was beaten to death on August 16, 2011, at Kartel's house in Havendale, St Andrew, over two missing guns.