GRACIOUS IN DEFEAT: Lee Jasper
LEE JASPER graciously accepted defeat at the polls after losing out on his bid to become Croydon North MP.
The Brixton-based community activist and former race advisor to Ken Livingstone, said that he was both "deeply appreciative" and "excited" by what he had learned throughout his run.
Jasper, the Respect Party candidate, garnered 707 votes polling him in sixth place just behind the Green Party's Shasha Islam Khan, who managed 855 votes.
Labour retained the constituency of Croydon North in a Westminster by-election, taking home a margin of almost 12,000 votes.
Candidate Steve Reed secured a massive 47 percent majority over the Tories Andy Stranack.
Taking to his Facebook page early this morning (Nov 30), Jasper wrote: "As you will know, by now I came fifth garnering 700 votes in the Croydon North by election. I wanted to thank everyone of you who supported me on the campaign.
"Your support was invaluable to me and I'm also deeply appreciative to all who contributed to the campaign financially. To those who sent me lots of positive encouragement and best wishes - many thanks. I have learned and strengthened as a result. So I salute you as true soldiers in the struggle for equality and justice."
Throughout his campaign, Jasper was endorsed by US civil rights leader Reverend Jesse Jackson, who he joined on the race equality bus tour to highlight the need for equal treatment in the economy.
The Baptist minister said: “Lee Jasper has been a long time friend and ally, a committed freedom fighter for equality and economic justice who can make a difference in society.
"That’s why I wish to let my friends in the UK know that I am supporting his campaign for UK parliament.”
The by-election was triggered by the death of Labour MP Malcolm Wicks in September.
* Steve Reed (Lab) 15,898 (64.71%, +8.69%)
* Andy Stranack (C) 4,137 (16.84%, -7.28%)
* Winston McKenzie (Ukip) 1,400 (5.70%, +3.97%)
* Marisha Ray (LD) 860 (3.50%, -10.48%)
* Shasha Islam Khan (Green) 855 (3.48%, +1.51%)
* Lee Jasper (Respect) 707 (2.88%, +2.35%)
* Stephen Hammond (CPA) 192 (0.78%)
* Richard Edmonds (NF) 161 (0.66%)
* Ben Stevenson (Comm) 119 (0.48%, +0.17%)
* John Cartwright (Loony) 110 (0.45%)
* Simon Lane (Nine eleven) 66 (0.27%)
* Robin Smith (Young) 63 (0.26%)
* Lab maj 11,761 (47.87%)