Custom Search 1

'Lonely' businesswoman, 28, takes her own life

INQUEST: An inquest heard that university graduate Sharon Bukokhe, a 28-year-old sales manager from Levenshulme in Manchester, killed herself because she was lonely

A YOUNG Kenyan businesswoman took her own life because she was lonely, an inquest heard yesterday.

University graduate Sharon Bukokhe, a 28-year-old sales manager from Levenshulme in Manchester, is thought to have struggled to cope with living alone in Britain when her family, including her husband who lived in South Africa, were spread across the world, the Daily Mail reports.

The inquest heard that Mrs Bukokhe, whose feelings of loneliness led to her being diagnosed with bipolar disorder, used her laptop to research ways to commit suicide, applied full make up and painted her nails then suffocated herself at her flat in April.

Her only relative in Britain was her brother who lived 250 miles away in Gillingham, Kent, while her mother lived in the US, and her sister lived in Canada.

Mrs Bukokhe’s sister Caroline Lusiche, who flew in from Canada to be at the inquest in Manchester said that many factors had led to her sister's death.

"She was a high achiever, her marriage was also a big factor. She wanted it to succeed but he was in South Africa doing his masters. She moved and they decided to put that marriage on hold."

An extract from a diary found after Mrs Bukokhe's death read: "I think that any life is as valid as the next, such that an ending of 25 is as good as 88. I have no real regrets or fears any more, I just feel decisive and justified."

Mrs Bukokhe had last seen her doctor, Dr Javaid Khan, in March this year who said that although she had some suicidal thoughts, she was able to "put them aside".

He said: "She was not a severe type of manic depression, there was a low assessment of suicide.

"When I found out it shocked me very much. She always put a brave face on, she said she did feel very lonely."

Mrs Bukokhe was found dead by flatmate Stefanie Maccalli, who became concerned that neither she nor her other housemate had seen her.

"I decided to check Facebook to see if she had gone somewhere but I couldn’t find her profile. That was the moment everything started clicking,’ she said. ‘I sent her a text to her mobile. Part of me was already thinking something bad," she said.

"We tried to open the door it wouldn’t open - it was obvious that it was closed from the inside. We decided to try and break the door, we looked inside and she was on the floor in front of the door.

"She was dressed with make-up and her nails done, she looked like she had been somewhere nice or she was just going somewhere."

Carolyn Singleton, Deputy Coroner for Manchester, recorded a verdict of suicide.

Subscribe to The Voice database!

We'd like to keep in touch with you regarding our daily newsletter, Voice competitions, promotions and marketing material and to further increase our reach with The Voice readers.

If interested, please click the below button to complete the subscription form.

We will never sell your data and will keep it safe and secure.

For further details visit our privacy policy.

You have the right to withdraw at any time, by clicking 'Unsubscribe'.

Facebook Comments