Custom Search 1

Man guilty of supplying Mark Duggan with gun

FATALLY SHOT: Duggan was killed by armed police in 2011

THE MAN accused of transferring the gun recovered nearby Mark Duggan after he was fatally shot on August 4, 2011, by armed police in Tottenham, north London, has been found guilty by a jury at the Old Bailey.

Kevin Hutchinson-Foster was convicted today (January 31) after his trial last year at Snaresbrook Crown Court collapsed without a verdict.

The court heard Hutchison-Foster, 30, passed a BBM Bruni Model 92 handgun to Duggan, 29, only 15 minutes before he was stopped in a minicab by police on Ferry Lane and shot twice.

Duggan's death was widely seen as sparking the unrest which led to the London riots during the summer of 2011.

During the trial, the jury heard anonymous police witness accounts of what happened, which described Duggan getting out of the taxi holding a loaded gun. The armed officer responsible for firing the two rounds at Duggan told the court: “I had an honest-held belief that Mark Duggan was going to shoot me or one of my colleagues, so I brought my MP5 [sub-machine gun] up to the shooting position.”

Duggan was hit in the right arm and chest, the latter being the fatal wound.

Hutchinson-Foster, of Neville Road, Hackney, east London, had previously pleaded guilty to possessing a firearm with intent to harm, when he assaulted a man on July 29, 2011 at a hair salon in Hackney.


GUILTY: Kevin Hutchinson-Foster

Chief Superintendent Dean Haydon, of the Met’s Trident operation, said: “Kevin Hutchison-Foster has today been found guilty of supplying a firearm to Mark Duggan. This is in addition to the two other offences he has already pleaded guilty to, namely assault and possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear.

“The Kevin Hutchison Foster trial has primarily been about the supply of an illegal firearm and I welcome the verdict of the jury in this case today”, the officer added.

Alison Saunders, chief crown prosecutor of the London Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), said: “The CPS proceeded with this prosecution based on evidence that Kevin Hutchinson-Foster had transferred a gun to Mark Duggan hidden in a shoe box in Tottenham on 4 August 2011.

“He had already lied about possessing the same gun and beating a person with it six days earlier, despite strong evidence linking him to that offence. He eventually pleaded guilty to those charges and today a jury found him guilty of this further offence.

“We are committed to tackling the menace of gun crime and will continue working closely with the police to pursue and prosecute those who supply or transfer the weapons that have caused terrible pain to so many families. This conviction sends a strong message that gun crime and violence will not be tolerated in London”, Saunders added.

Hutchinson-Foster will be sentenced on February 26. The police watchdog, the Independent Police Complaints Commission, is still investigating the death of Duggan, and has not yet finished its report, which is required before the inquest into the fatal shooting can commence.

Last Monday (January 28), Judge Cutler, who is overseeing the Duggan hearing, set September as the month in which the full inquest is to go ahead.

Facebook Comments