Custom Search 1

Mark Duggan inquest jury allowed to return majority decision

SHOT DEAD: Mark Duggan was fatally shot by armed police in 2011

THE CORONER in the Mark Duggan inquest has announced his decision to accept a majority verdict as the jury enter their fifth day of deliberations.

Under section 9 of The Coroners and Justice Act 2009, the 10 person jury has been told that they may reach conclusions and findings on which at least 8 of them are agreed.

A statement from the inquest reads: “This means that Judge Keith Cutler feels a reasonable amount of time has elapsed and he will now accept a majority conclusion.

“He is still encouraging the jury to reach a unanimous decision if one can be achieved. The lowest decision he can accept is 8-2 for any conclusion or determination, he will also accept 9-1 or 10-0.”

The statement also revealed a proposed timetable in the event that the jury has not reached a decision by close of play Thursday.

It suggests that the inquest adjourns for the Christmas period and sits again on the 2nd of January.

Last week, summing up the 12-week hearing at the Royal Courts of Justice, Judge Keith Cutler warned the 10 jurors to be careful about making conclusions about Duggan.

He said: "There is no trial, no findings of guilt. There is no prosecution. You must be careful before you make conclusions about Mark Duggan’s character - no one is on trial here, least of all Mark Duggan."

The three possible outcomes of the inquest are lawful killing, unlawful killing or an open conclusion.

The questions jurors have been asked to consider are as follows:

1. In the period between midday on August 4 and 6pm when a 'state amber' (when police have enough intelligence to arrest a suspect) was issued, did the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) and Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA) do the best they realistically could have done to gather and react to intelligence on the possibility of Mark Duggan collecting a gun from Kevin Hutchinson-Foster?

2. Was the stop conducted in a location and in a way which minimised to the greatest extent possible recourse to lethal force. If no, what more could have been expected of them?

3. Did Mark Duggan have the gun with him in the taxi immediately before the stop?

4. How did the gun get to the grass area where it was later found?

5. When Mark Duggan received the fatal shot, did he have the gun in his hand?

Duggan, 29, was travelling in a taxi in August 2011 when he was intercepted by police in Ferry Lane in Tottenham, north London, as part of an intelligence-led operation.

The officer who shot Duggan claim he fired in self-defence after the Tottenham resident pointed a gun at him.

Duggan's death sparked riots and disorder in London and England in the summer of 2011.

Subscribe to The Voice database!

We'd like to keep in touch with you regarding our daily newsletter, Voice competitions, promotions and marketing material and to further increase our reach with The Voice readers.

If interested, please click the below button to complete the subscription form.

We will never sell your data and will keep it safe and secure.

For further details visit our privacy policy.

You have the right to withdraw at any time, by clicking 'Unsubscribe'.

Facebook Comments