Custom Search 1

Second arrest made over London Tube attack

UPDATE: (Photo credit: GlobalsNewsroom)

A SECOND man has been arrested by detectives from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command investigating the terrorist attack at Parsons Green on Friday, 15 September.

The 21-year-old man was arrested in Hounslow at around 11.50pm on Saturday, 16 September.

He was arrested under section 41 of the Terrorism Act and taken to a south London police station where he remains in custody.

Senior National Co-ordinator for Counter Terrorism Policing, Neil Basu said: “I would like to update you on the ongoing investigation into the terrorist attack at Parsons Green Tube Station yesterday morning.

The Metropolitan Police and its partners across the Counter Terrorism Policing Network have been working around the clock and through the night to identify, locate and arrest those responsible for this cowardly crime.

At approximately 7.50am this morning, local police officers in Kent arrested an 18-year-old man in the departure area of the Port of Dover. He was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism. He has now been transferred to custody at a police station in London.

Officers from Kent Police partially evacuated the Port of Dover at around 11.40am this morning. This was to enable them to search the premises as a precautionary measure. This work is now complete. They recovered a number of items during this search.

A short while later, at around 1.40pm - with the assistance of Surrey Police - Met Police officers also evacuated a house in Sunbury-on-Thames. As a precautionary measure, we evacuated the surrounding buildings and set up cordons within a 100-metre radius.

I want to reassure that community that our expert officers are quickly and thoroughly searching that address and working to ensure that it is safe. Once this is done a detailed search will take place.

I would like to thank residents in Sunbury and people travelling in and out of the Port of Dover for their patience and understanding while officers carry out this precautionary but important work.

Their support has enabled us to act swiftly.

The police and Surrey Local Authority are working to support displaced residents and to get them back into their homes as soon as possible.

At this stage we are keeping an open mind around whether more than one person is responsible for the attack and we are still pursuing numerous lines of enquiry and at a great pace."

The Voice is celebrating its 35th birthday this year. Share your Voice memories, comments and birthday wishes on social media, using the following hash tag: #Voice35Years

Read every story in our hardcopy newspaper for free by downloading Posted on: 17/09/2017 01:27 PM

Facebook Comments