Custom Search 1

Tottenham shooting victim: 'police have jammed me up'

VICTIM: Mark Duggan, 29, was shot dead by police on Thursday

TOTTENHAM SHOOTING victim Mark Duggan sent a Blackberry message warning friends that undercover police were in the area 15 minutes before he died.

Friends of the 29-year-old showed The Voice a broadcast he had sent at 6.04pm alerting them that officers from Trident had “jammed him up”.

Less than 15 minutes later, he had been shot twice by The Met’s specialist firearms unit.

The Guardian newspaper has since reported that a bullet found in a police car radio belongs to a police weapon, and not from a non-police gun as previously thought.

It casts further doubt on claims that it was Mr Duggan who shot at police first.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) earlier revealed a weapon had been recovered at the scene that did not belong to the police.

In an interview with Sky News, the victim's brother, Shaun Hall, said: “We are devastated by the loss of our brother, son, cousin and friend. We are devastated to hear about 'the mishap'.

“We don’t actually know what has happened. I suppose that is what is most thing gruelling thing for us. No one has come forward and told us this is what has taken place.

“Whether we believe what has happened or not, somebody should be here putting my parents' mind at rest about what is actually going on."

He added: “We don’t want Mark portrayed as some kind of a gangster. He was a family man as you see from the true pictures that you’ll see of him now.

“I think it’s [police claims] rubbish. I know my brother is that sort of person. He would not shoot at the police. That’s ridiculous.

“We are done condoning any actions taken in my brother’s name.

“Some questions were supposed to be answered, they weren’t answered which led to a domino effect that we don’t condone at all.

“I know people are frustrated and angry at the moment. Please hold down. Please don’t let this be a bearing on my brother’s life. He was a good man.”

Police have arrested 52 people, mostly for burglarly, after looters ran amok in Tottenham and Wood Green after chaos erupted last night.

Up to eight officers were taken to hospital while 18 others suffered minor injuries.

Local amenities including the post office, the job centre and other Haringey Council buildings have been destroyed.

Homes have been burned down and many Tottenham residents were given temporary refuge at Tottenham Green Leisure Centre.

Subscribe to The Voice database!

We'd like to keep in touch with you regarding our daily newsletter, Voice competitions, promotions and marketing material and to further increase our reach with The Voice readers.

If interested, please click the below button to complete the subscription form.

We will never sell your data and will keep it safe and secure.

For further details visit our privacy policy.

You have the right to withdraw at any time, by clicking 'Unsubscribe'.

Facebook Comments