MEMORIES: Sybrina Fulton and Trayvon Martin
THE MOTHER of killed teenager Trayvon Martin has said that she plans to keep fighting for justice for her son, who was fatally shot in Florida by a neighbourhood watchman a year ago today.
Speaking on CNN yesterday (Feb 25) Sybrina Fulton and father of the 17-year-old victim Tracy Martin said they planned let the jury decide the fate of the man accused of the killing, George Zimmerman, who is set to begin a second-degree murder trial on June 10.
Fulton said: "We (want to) make sure that no other parents have to go through what we have gone through in the last year."
"We just want to have that trial, and let the jury decide and whatever decision comes out of that, we're going to accept that. We may not like it, but we're going to accept it."
The 30-year-old suspect claims he shot the teenager in self-defence following an alleged confrontation in the gated Sanford neighbourhood, which left him with "severe" facial injuries.
Zimmerman's preliminary hearing is set for April 22.
Trayvon's parents will attend a candlelight vigil in New York tonight to mark the anniversary of his death.