Custom Search 1

“I have cried non-stop at night"

INNOCENT: Terrell’s mum says her son has no history with police.

THE MOTHER of a 15-year-old boy who sustained serious injuries in Bermondsey after being detained by the police has spoken exclusively to The Voice newspaper about the family’s ordeal.

Shereen Jones, mother of Terrell Jones-Burton, has confirmed that her son is receiving treatment in a London hospital with a split lip, lost teeth, broken jawbone, bruising on the brain and abdominal pain. Terrell was on his way home from local shops in Bermondsey, south London, when he was detained by officers who accused him of involvement in a mobile phone mugging.

Following the incident, Terrell suffered a seizure in the ambulance and The Voice can reveal that doctors have since advised that he will be on anti-seizure medication for the rest of his life. For Terrell, the road to recovery will be a long one and he may never be the same again.

“People don’t understand that, even though he’s alive, it’s going to be very hard,” said Ms Jones.

"At this point, the medical team are assessing his brain function and the extent of any damage that has occurred."

She said: “He doesn’t want to talk but tries. He is pretending to be strong, but if it has messed up my head, it has messed up his head.”

Ms Jones remains in shock and became tearful on multiple occasions, as she attempted to explain how she is feeling.

“I have cried non-stop at night. I’m not sleeping at all, so you can just imagine,” she said.

“Night time is when he’s resting and I’m awake because I’m scared that he will end up having a seizure in his sleep.

“It’s only been a couple of days so it is only just hitting me. It’s really hard because that is my baby – my firstborn – and he is not a bad child. He did not deserve that.”

SHOCKING: Terrell in hospital.

Officers detained Terrell as he rode through Bermondsey last Tuesday evening, following reports of a robbery. Startling CCTV footage reportedly reveals one pursuing officer “tackle” Terrell from his bicycle, before the teenager’s head smashes into the doorway of a chicken shop.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said officers were called to nearby Albion Street, Rotherhithe, shortly after 9pm.

He said: “The female victim informed officers that her mobile phone had been stolen by a male youth who then fled on a bicycle. A short while later officers detained a 15-year-old male youth on a bicycle in Southwark Park Road.”

Writing on Facebook at the time of the incident, Ms Jones stated that her son “is not a thug”, has no criminal record and no involvement with the police.

“Not every 15-year-old can say that they don’t have a record or they’ve not been stopped by the police. I can say that proudly, as a mother,” she said.

“Terrell comes from a lineage of pastors and bishops. He comes from a God-fearing family. One thing I know; he has no reason to steal, lie, cheat or anything like that.”

The officers who pursued Terrell Jones-Burton are currently being investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission. However, Ms Jones said she is not hopeful that anything will come of the investigation. The 35-year-old mother also expressed a new-found fear of the police since the incident occurred.

“I don’t know what the police are capable of and I fear for my children’s lives,” she added.

“They (the police) are brutal and what they did to Terrell wasn’t necessary. Even I’m fearful, now, of the police. If you can do that to a 15-year-old, what could you do to me – especially as a black woman?”

Ms Jones says Terrell’s 10-year-old brother has been deeply impacted by what has happened.

“He’s more scared than anything and has become very quiet. They don’t want any trouble with the police; that’s what puts fear in them.”

She revealed that the recently launched #JusticeForTerrell campaign has gained global support.

“I’ve had so many people reach out to me, it’s crazy. I didn’t think that just one hashtag would take off. Right now, I’m not only fighting for my child; I’m fighting for everybody else’s child,” she said.

“And that makes me want to fight even more because that could have been anybody’s child and I think what’s worse for me is what I saw in the ambulance. My son could’ve died before my eyes when he had that seizure. That’s what’s haunting me right now.”

Ms Jones describes Terrell as an ‘ambitious’, ‘energetic’ and ‘well behaved’ young man, who was looking forward to finishing secondary school.

“I thank God everyday that there’s a new day he’s alive and there. Whether he’s partially brain damaged or not – I thank God I can look at him, kiss him and say good morning. But now I feel like I need to fight, I do. It’s hard to talk about, but I need it out there. The world needs to see what they’ve done.”

Read every story in our hardcopy newspaper for free by downloading the app.

Facebook Comments