Custom Search 1

Charlton make their point

GET IN: Charlton's Danny Haynes (centre) celebrates his goal

CHARLTON'S POOR run of form continued at The Valley this afternoon when they were held to a 1-1 draw by Derby County. The result means that Chris Powell's team remain without a win in their last six games.

The game took a while to come to life as both teams huffed and puffed. Derby were the slightly better team as they got their passing game going. In the 11th minute Ben Davies saw his free kick tipped over by Charlton stopper Ben Hamer.

Charlton simply could not get a foothold in the game as they struggled to get out of their half at times; they simply could not string two passes together. That however was to change in the 21st minute when totally against the run of play Danny Haynes picked up the ball on the left side in Derby’s half.

With no one to pass the ball to he turned and shot from fully 25 yards and the ball ended up nestled in the top corner of Adam Legzdin’s net to give Charlton a lead they hardly deserved. It was the home team's was Charlton’s first shot on target.

Two minutes later Charlton’s left back Cedric Evina, playing his first game after being out for six weeks after a cartilage operation, gave the ball away but his keeper Hamer came to his rescue.

On 32 minutes Haynes once again chased a loose ball but this time he pulled up distraught with a hamstring injury and was replaced by Bradley Wright-Phillips.

In the 34th minute Hamer made a point blank save from Nathan Tyson. Three minutes before half time Michael Morrison should have scored a second goal for Charlton but he missed with a header from just three yards out.

In the second half, Charlton came out all guns blazing, showing more urgency and went looking for a second goal which would have potentially killed the game.

On 46 minutes Wright-Phillips broke into theCounty box and crossed the ball to captain Johnnie Jackson who headed wide. Two minutes later Evina saw his pile driver tipped over by Legzdins.

In the 66th minute Charlton could have wrapped up the game. A cross was put into the Derby penalty area but instead of side footing the ball into the net, Bradley Pritchard went for power, the ball hit the underside of the crossbar and rebounded back into play. That turned out to be the turning point of the match and Charlton were to rue that miss.

In the 70th minute Morrison brought Richard Keogh down in the box and the referee awarded a penalty to Derby. Worse was to come though as Morrison was shown a second yellow card followed by a red to reduce Charlton to ten men.

Derby substitute Jamie Ward placed the ball on the penalty spot and sent Hamer the wrong way to equalize for Derby.

For the last 20 minutes Charlton had to dig deep and put up a rearguard just to salvage a point from the game. Hamer had to make two quick saves in succession, of which, one was from a Theo Robinson header.

At the final whistle the Charlton fans acknowledged the Herculean effort by the 10 men who got a point and were relieved that their final game of 2012 did not end in yet another defeat.

Subscribe to The Voice database!

We'd like to keep in touch with you regarding our daily newsletter, Voice competitions, promotions and marketing material and to further increase our reach with The Voice readers.

If interested, please click the below button to complete the subscription form.

We will never sell your data and will keep it safe and secure.

For further details visit our privacy policy.

You have the right to withdraw at any time, by clicking 'Unsubscribe'.

Facebook Comments