Custom Search 1

Charlton make their point at last

STAR MAN: Marvin Sordell was the Charlton saviour against Forest

A SECOND half equaliser from Marvin Sordell earned struggling Charlton a point against an in-form Nottingham Forest tonight (October 1).

The result, if anything, eases the apprehension which had mounted on the South Londoners following a spell of dissatisfaction.

Addicks boss Powell was left with limited recourses as his injury hit squad attempted to bounce back from three straight defeats.

The Reds did little to comfort their fans struggles by making the worst possible start. A needless foul on the edge of the box subsequently led to home side going behind inside three minutes courtesy of Andy Reid’s trusted left foot.

The Irishman caught keeper Ben Hamer cold with an in-swinging free kick, haunting his former employees in the process to register his fifth goal of the season.

High flying Forest - buoyed from their 1-0 victory over East Midlands rivals Derby County at the City Ground on Saturday - kept up their bright start following Reid’s opener and appeared to remain in control.

Billy Davies' set his side out to attack and could have doubled their lead had it not been for the heroics of Charlton defender Lawrie Wilson, stretching to make a goal line clearance.

Young Forest midfielder Nathaniel Chalobah, on loan from Chelsea, provided an assured first half display for Forest. His composure on the ball and ability to pick out a string of key passes in the final third, was well noted as Forest took control of the game.

The England Under-21 international, highly rated by his parent club at Stamford Bridge, helped Forest's promotion rivals Watford to the Championship play-off final last season, scoring five goals in 38 games. A continuation of regular first-team outings will only reap positives enhancing his potential.

A succession of half chances almost looked like the best Charlton could offer. Dale Stephens went close after combining with Simon Church, while Sordell and the energetic Wilson both had a sniff.

A minute before the interval Stephens did well to beat two men before shooting over the bar from just eight-yards out. Close but not close enough.

Whilst the timing of Stephens’ attempt may have tweaked Powell’s half-time rant a little, that did not change the fact Charlton were second best all half.

Whatever home truths were laid out in the Charlton changing-room, they certainly conjured had an impact. The Addicks made an inspired start to the second half as Sordell equalised with a poacher's finish on 50 minutes.

The lack of optimism from the home faithful prior to kick off was swiftly turned to sanguinity.

From there on in Charlton appeared to have found their mojo. Somehow they were unable to convert a succession of chances to snatch a win.

Jordan Cousins thought he had hit the jackpot but he was denied by the woodwork with just minutes remaining.

The point for Forest in the capital keeps them handily placed in the Championship standings.

AS for Charlton, ending a run of three successive defeats can act as a catalyst to turn their season around.

Subscribe to The Voice database!

We'd like to keep in touch with you regarding our daily newsletter, Voice competitions, promotions and marketing material and to further increase our reach with The Voice readers.

If interested, please click the below button to complete the subscription form.

We will never sell your data and will keep it safe and secure.

For further details visit our privacy policy.

You have the right to withdraw at any time, by clicking 'Unsubscribe'.

Facebook Comments