Custom Search 1

Harry Uzoka death: Men jailed for murder

VICTIM: Harry Uzoka

THREE MEN who were convicted of murdering male model, Harry Uzoka, have been sentenced to a total of over 60-years in jail.

George Koh and Mersa Dikanda were found guilty on Monday, 13 August of Harry Uzoka’s murder at the Old Bailey.

Koh was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum to serve 25 years and Dikanda was sentenced to serve life imprisonment to serve 22 years.

Jonathan Okigbo was found guilty of manslaughter. He has been sentenced to 14-years in jail.

All three were sentenced today (Sep 21) at the Old Bailey.

25-year-old Harry, was fatally stabbed when a dispute between himself and Koh about a girl escalated to the pair arranging to meet for a fight.

Both had enlisted the assistance of others for the confrontation, which resulted in Harry sustaining stab injuries in Ollgar Close, near his home address in January.

The court heard that Harry was a successful young male model, signed to Premier Model Management agency, who had worked for well-established brands across the world including Mercedes and Levi’s.

He was regarded as a growing celebrity in the modelling world and was well-liked and admired by his colleagues having cultivated a reputation as a laid-back person who was happy to give advice to help other people get ahead in the industry. He was regarded by many as the leading black male model in the UK.

He and Koh, who was also a model, were known to each other, though Koh did not enjoy as much success.

SENTENCED: George Koh, Mersa Dikanda and Jonathan Okigbo (Photo credit: MET Police)


The pair were not friends; Harry had been annoyed by attempts from Koh to emulate him and make contact with his friends, but there had not been anything to indicate any serious ill-feeling between the pair.

Events took a serious turn when a female mutual friend of the pair, who had not met either man in person previously, arranged to come to London from Paris in late December, 2017.

She stayed at Koh’s north London home, where she was surprised to discover that Koh had something of an obsession with Harry, refusing to believe that she had not met him before.

Koh further referred to Harry as a bad man and a liar, and then went on to claim that the cause of their poor relationship was that he had slept with a girl that Harry was in a relationship with.

The female friend met Harry a few days later on January 9 and the pair got on. She told Harry about what Koh had claimed, which angered him. Harry showed her previous exchanges between the pair on Instagram where he implored Koh to stop copying him and talking to his friends.

Over the following two days Harry and Koh exchanged messages over direct messaging on Instagram as a result of Koh’s claims, with Harry telling friends that he had to see Koh ‘to fix him’.

Harry and Koh had a heated exchange over the telephone before the row moved again to direct messaging on Instagram; Harry wrote: “Leave my name out of your mouth, it’s that’s simple, I’ve never spoken bad of you in any way, so this is wild.”

Koh, who was himself incensed at the alleged betrayal by the mutual friend, offered to fight Harry and urged him to bring friends with him.

On January 11 Harry wrote: “Listen come Bush station this is the last thing I’m saying to you, you’re a lost soul.”

Koh replied: “I’m coming.”

He got the help of a friend, Merse Dikanda, who he asked to come with him to the planned fight. Dikanda agreed and the pair met at around 1.45pmin Chapel Market in Islington. They then arranged to meet another friend of Koh’s, Jonathan Okigbo, at his home address near York Rise in Camden before calling a cab that would take them to Shepherds Bush.

They arrived at Ollgar Close at around 3.40pm, close to where Harry lived, and then call records indicated Koh had phoned Harry to tell him to come to the meeting spot.

Harry was at home and could see the group arrive from his window. He called his flatmate, who was out, and informed him that Koh was there. The flatmate advised Harry to be careful and not to do anything stupid.

A friend who was with Harry at the time grabbed a dumbbell bar and unscrewed the weights from it to use as a weapon, and Harry did the same, and together the pair made their way to meet Koh, Dikanda and Okigbo in Ollgar Close.

The males confronted each other; Harry and his friend revealed the dumbbell bars, before Koh stated ‘are you mad?’ and pulled out two knives. Okigbo reached over to a black bag held by Dikanda and pulled out an object with a black handle, stating ‘I want to let this off at you’. Moments later Dikanda pulled out a machete.

Harry’s friend fled immediately on sight of the weapons, followed by Harry, who was pursued by Koh and Dikanda, both armed with a machete and knives, and trapped Harry against a vehicle.

Okigbo chased after Harry’s flatmate to ensure he would not return.

A brief verbal argument ensued before Harry, who was surrounded by the three men, was stabbed by Koh, three times, with one of the wounds penetrating his chest. He was able to escape and moments later collapsed in the street as the males walked off in the opposite direction.

Police and London Ambulance Service paramedics were called at 3.45pm by a member of the public who found Harry collapsed and bleeding in the street.

Officers administered first aid prior to LAS arrival but despite their efforts, he was pronounced dead at the scene at around 5.00pm.

A post-mortem held on January 12 at Uxbridge Mortuary gave cause of death as a stab wound to the heart. Harry had also suffered stab wounds to his arm and back.

After the brutal attack on Harry the trio had hid in a doorway, close to the crime. The three called a taxi, which picked them up at around 4.09pm from Askew Crescent, before all three split up and went their separate ways.

Officers from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command launched an investigation into Harry’s murder and quickly established Koh, Okigbo and Dikanda as linked to the crime via CCTV enquiries and forensic samples.

During the course of their investigation, officers established that Koh had attempted to ‘lay low’ following Harry’s murder, cancelling bookings for work and unsuccessfully attempting to delete the taxi account, booked in his name, that had taken the three men to the scene of Harry’s murder and cancelling his phone account. He handed himself in at Colindale police station on January 14.

During an interview, he claimed that he had stabbed Harry in self-defence and that a group of males linked to Harry had threatened him the night before at his home address, which officers were able to dismiss as fantasy because Koh had not been at home that night.


After the attack on Harry, each went about trying to dispose of material that could link them to the stabbing, Koh destroyed his knives and his telephones, Okigbo, destroyed his clothing and smashed his iphone 6 and Dikanda, destroyed his machete, his clothing and also two phones, which included a smartphone. This was all done in an attempt to evade justice.

Detective Sergeant Devan Taylor, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “No amount of jail time will ever bring Harry back, but I hope that today’s sentence will give his family some peace of mind and closure to this terrible ordeal. Sadly, Harry’s promising career in modelling was cut short over such a trivial dispute by three brutes – two of whom had no involvement in the argument whatsoever.

“I have no doubt that Koh, Dikanda and Okigbo will be regretting their decisions to carry weapons on London’s streets and I hope that today’s sentence will deter anyone else from doing so as well.”

In a statement, Harry’s family said: “Harry’s death has been a great shock to everyone that knew him and even those that did not. He left a positive and irreplaceable mark on so many. We still find it difficult to believe he is actually gone. It was yet again another senseless killing.”

“Harry was a hard-working, committed and ambitious young man. He was a role model for all, especially young black boys, a high percentage of whom are raised in poverty and need positive influences to encourage them to stay on the right track in life. It is so important for young boys to see people like themselves from similar backgrounds doing well so that they can also have positive dreams and aspirations that they know are achievable. Harry was such a positive, loving and caring influence.”

Read every story in our hardcopy newspaper for free by downloading the app.

Facebook Comments