Custom Search 1

Man claims he was Tasered nine times by police

MAN DOWN: Justice Livingstone

A TRAIN passenger claims he was Tasered nine times by police who feared a toy gun he was carrying in his briefcase was an "imitation" firearm, it has been alleged.

Justice Livingstone claims officers held him face down on a packed carriage at Norwood Junction station in south London and used the Taser on him multiple times after mistaking his son's 99p toy gun for a dangerous weapon.

"They jumped at me and used the Taser four times at my chest. That did not have any effect, I felt no current. They then held me down, grabbed on to my head and pinned me down and shot me in the back of the head with the Taser three times and I felt the current," he said.

The father of two, who had brought the toy for his son's birthday, says he was completely unaware about all the commotion surrounding his gift until cops stormed onto his train carriage.

It is believed that police arrived after they were called by station staff reporting a man on the platform waving what appeared to be a gun.

"I was sitting reading the Financial Times when these four officers rushed on to the carriage," he told The Guardian.

Mr. Livingstone said that he was about to leave the train with the rest of the passengers when police told him to "sit down!"

"So I sat down patiently and they said 'Open your briefcase,' which I did," he recalls.

"They saw the toy gun and then a male police officer opened fire with a gun which jammed," he claims.

He continued: "They tied my legs and took me off the train to the platform."

INJURIES: Livingstone's own images of his injuries sustained from the alleged incident with police

Mr Livingstone is said to have been taken to a police station in Victoria where he was made to strip before he was sent to Bethlem Royal hospital in Beckenham in south east London.

British Transport police (BTP) say the Tasers were used by police officers to restrain the man when he failed to comply with their requests to remain seated while shouting and refusing to remove his hands from his pockets.

“When officers made their way through the carriages, the male suspect who had his hands in his pockets. The suspect moved forward towards the officers whilst shouting and refused to remove his hands from his pockets. Attempts by the officers to physically restrain him failed so they deployed Taser” a Met spokesperson said.

They continued: “The man was Tasered a number of times but this seemed to have no effect. Eventually officers were able to physically restrain the man and he was removed from the train and into the custody of British Transport Police,” the statement said.

Livingstone says he will be making a formal complaint.

Subscribe to The Voice database!

We'd like to keep in touch with you regarding our daily newsletter, Voice competitions, promotions and marketing material and to further increase our reach with The Voice readers.

If interested, please click the below button to complete the subscription form.

We will never sell your data and will keep it safe and secure.

For further details visit our privacy policy.

You have the right to withdraw at any time, by clicking 'Unsubscribe'.

Facebook Comments