Custom Search 1

Man identified in Joel Urhie investigation

PICTURED: Joel Urhie

DETECTIVES INVESTIGATING the death of seven-year-old Joel Urhie who died in a suspected arson attack, have identified a man they issue CCTV stills of.

Urhie, who lived with his mother and older sister Sarah, died as a result of the deliberate attack in Adolphus Street, Deptford shortly before 3.30am on Tuesday, 7 August. His mother and Sarah managed to escape by jumping from first floor windows.

Images of the unidentified man were circulated on Friday, 22 March and showed a man at a Shell petrol station in Shooters Hill Road, SE3.

The Met Police confirmed that a man has been identified and spoken to by police officers but he was not arrested.

“Enquiries into Joel's death continue by detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command,” said a Met Police spokesperson. “Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8345 3715 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”


After Urhies death Tega Majoroh, 18, who was the young boy’s cousin, paid tribute to him. Tega said: "Joel has been gone for a while now, but it seems like just yesterday he was taken from us. He brought so much light to the family without even knowing it. His death has been a tragedy to us all. His absence has caused a huge sense of loss. As young as he was, he meant so much too so many."

"He was more my little brother than my little cousin. I remember when he was three and couldn’t say my name for ages. I would come to the house and say ‘Hi Joel.’ He'd say ‘Hi Tera’ and run to me with so much happiness," she recalled.

"Joel was like the sunshine after rain. Coming home to him was like a breath of fresh air. He was always happy and always made others around him happy. There are so many memories that I will always treasure - and there will always be a hole in our hearts where his memory will lie."

Read every story in our hardcopy newspaper for free by downloading the app.

Facebook Comments