Custom Search 1

Mentally ill man admits killing mum, 81, and injuring sister

DUE TO BE SENTENCED: Gilbert Corette

A MAN who killed his mother and attacked his sister after being granted permission to leave a mental health facility in Lewisham, south London, has pleaded guilty to manslaughter and grievous bodily harm.

Gilbert Corette, 44, admitted to the manslaughter of his mother, 81-year-old Florise Corette, by virtue of diminished responsibility and the grievous bodily harm of a 52-year-old woman, his sister.

The court heard that Gilbert Corette was registered disabled and in recent years had difficulty managing his mental health.

Though his immediate family had supported him over the years it came to a point where they could no longer cope.

On March 19, 2015, Corette was sectioned under the Mental Health Act and placed in Lewisham Hospital, Ladywell Unit, which is a unit for patients with mental health disorders.

He left the hospital with permission and made his way to his mother's address on July 8, 2015.

Later that day at 10.23am, the London Ambulance Service (LAS) received a call from Corette's mother, Florise, at her home address stating that her daughter had been hit on the head with a bottle.

At the request of the LAS police attended and found Florise's daughter with a head injury.

Corette had remained at the house and when spoken to by officers stated that he'd got angry.

Corette was arrested.

He went on to explain that he had told his mother and sister that he did not want to stay at the mental health facility but they had insisted he return.

When they threatened to call the police he got angry.

Officers then searched the address forcing entry to a second ground floor bedroom where they found his mother Florise lying on the floor behind the door. She too had suffered head trauma and was in cardiac arrest.

London's Air Ambulance attended and she was taken, along with her daughter, to a south London hospital. Florise died later that day at midday.

A post-mortem examination was held at Greenwich Mortuary on the 10 July 2015 and determined the cause of death as head injuries.

Corette was charged with one count of murder and one count of grievous bodily harm.

At court on Friday (March 11), he entered a guilty plea to the charge of manslaughter, which was accepted.

He will be sentenced at the Old Bailey on April 7.

"There are no words that can sum up for us the emotional impact of what happened last year. It is still hard to make any sense of our mother's death. At the heart of all of this was a loving caring mother and son,” Corette’s family said.

"Our mother should have never died this way. Over the past months we watched and listened in disbelief as we became more aware of the details behind this tragedy.

"We conclude that due to Gilbert's mental health problems, he should never have been granted unsupervised leave that day from the NHS Psychiatric Unit where he was residing. Our mother would not have died and would still be with us today.”

Subscribe to The Voice database!

We'd like to keep in touch with you regarding our daily newsletter, Voice competitions, promotions and marketing material and to further increase our reach with The Voice readers.

If interested, please click the below button to complete the subscription form.

We will never sell your data and will keep it safe and secure.

For further details visit our privacy policy.

You have the right to withdraw at any time, by clicking 'Unsubscribe'.

Facebook Comments