Custom Search 1

Model, 22, died after two ambulances failed to turn up

AMBULANCE BLUNDER: Model Linzie Mumbi Ngarari died from a stomach haemorrhage

A YOUNG model died from a very rare stomach haemorrhage just hours after being told by a paramedic that she was suffering from a bug, an inquest has heard.

Linzie Mumbi Ngarari, 22, died at home on June 29 last year, less than seven hours after waking up with severe stomach pains and sickness.

The student, who took part in the Face of Kenya competition in 2013, was told by a paramedic from the 111 service that she was suffering from a stomach bug, Mail Online reported.

But Birmingham Coroner Emma Brown said there had been a "missed opportunity" to send an ambulance because of an error by an emergency call handler.

The court heard how her worried mother Jane had called for the ambulance at 5.15pm, but was directed to the 111 phone service.

It emerged during the hearing that the 999 call operator had misheard an answer to one of the key questions, which meant an ambulance was not sent.

Instead of paramedics arriving with half-an-hour, the system said Ngarari should be directed towards the 111 service.

There, her mother spoke to a paramedic who told her that her daughter - a third year mechanical engineering student at Birmingham City University - was suffering from a stomach bug.

Both of the calls, which included Ngarari moaning in pain as she spoke to operators, were played in court.

An ambulance was only sent to the family home after a further 999 call after 11pm when her mother found her unconscious and unresponsive.

Despite CPR attempts by her mother and paramedics who arrived within five minutes, she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Consultant pathologist Jerrard Langham told the inquest that Miss Ngarari died as a result of a spontaneous haemorrhage in her stomach.

TRAGIC: The 22-year-old died from a rare stomach haemorrhage

"This is a very uncommon event," he added.

"We do see it in some traumas like car accidents and in ectopic pregnancies, but there was no obvious cause in this case."

Langham said it was unlikely Ngarari would have been saved even if she had been taken to hospital because of the short time between her first symptoms and her death.

Ngarari said her daughter had attended a yoga class on the Sunday morning as normal, describing her as "completely fit and healthy".

Jason Wiles, head of patient safety with West Midlands Ambulance Service, told the court that he had been appointed to review the case.

He said six recommendations have been made, including extra training for call handlers around probing more during questioning and continuing to question until clear answers are given.

There had also been changes to the way pain is assessed and details of the case had been shared nationally.

The coroner recorded Ngarari died from natural causes.

Subscribe to The Voice database!

We'd like to keep in touch with you regarding our daily newsletter, Voice competitions, promotions and marketing material and to further increase our reach with The Voice readers.

If interested, please click the below button to complete the subscription form.

We will never sell your data and will keep it safe and secure.

For further details visit our privacy policy.

You have the right to withdraw at any time, by clicking 'Unsubscribe'.

Facebook Comments