Custom Search 1

Seventh arrest in Trevor Ellis murder

KILLED: Trevor Ellis

A 21-YEAR-OLD has been arrested on suspicion of murdering a man during the London riots last summer.

The unnamed man is the seventh man to be arrested over the killing of Trevor Ellis, 26, who was shot in the head as he sat in the car just minutes from the disorder in Croydon on August 8.

The suspect was arrested on Tuesday in south London and taken into custody at a south London police station. He was later bailed pending further enquiries, returning on a date to be decided.

An incident room has been opened under Detective Chief Inspector Neil Hutchison from Trident, the Met’s special unit for investigating gun crime within the black community.

DCI Hutchison said: "Trevor Ellis was murdered on a night where Croydon, and in fact London, saw unprecedented levels of violence and disorder.

"I believe his killers were actively involved in looting and responsible for robbing at least two people that night. They thought nothing of arming themselves with a gun and ultimately taking a young man's life leaving four young children without a father.

"I want anyone who was in central Croydon that night who saw this group or may have images of them on their cameras or phones to come forward."

Mr Ellis had travelled to the Croydon area earlier on August 8 in the company of a group of friends.

It is believed the group became involved in an altercation with a group of approximately nine individuals. This altercation culminated in a vehicle pursuit involving three vehicles, which commenced in Scarbrook Road, Croydon, passing along the A232 flyover into Duppas Hill Road where Mr Ellis was shot.

Detectives are also appealing for anyone who witnessed the pursuit, which involved a dark coloured estate car and silver hatchback - believed to have been driven by the group of nine - and a dark coloured hatchback, in which Mr Ellis was a passenger.

Anyone with information relating to any aspect of the incident is asked to call the incident room on 020 8247 4553; if you wish to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

A 24-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder a few days after the incident. He was bailed pending further enquiries and has since been released with no further action.

Five other men, aged between 24 and 41, have been arrested on suspicion of murder. They have been bailed to return to south London police stations pending further enquiries. They are next due on April 17, 2012.

Enquiries continue.

Subscribe to The Voice database!

We'd like to keep in touch with you regarding our daily newsletter, Voice competitions, promotions and marketing material and to further increase our reach with The Voice readers.

If interested, please click the below button to complete the subscription form.

We will never sell your data and will keep it safe and secure.

For further details visit our privacy policy.

You have the right to withdraw at any time, by clicking 'Unsubscribe'.

Facebook Comments