Three injured and man shot dead after ‘terror attack’ in Streatham

Three injured and man shot dead after ‘terror attack’ in Streatham

POLICE PRESENCE: A man has been shot dead by police after a terror-related incident in Streatham

THE HOME secretary, Priti Patel, and the PM’s chief political aide, Dominic Cummings, met with senior Met Police chiefs at 10 Downing Street after three people were injured and a man shot dead by police in a “terrorist-related” incident in Streatham, south London.

Witnesses describe a man with a “machete” and “silver canisters” on his chest being chased by armed officers before being shot.

Pictures show him face down and apparently injured outside a Boots shop as a police officer aims a gun.

Three people were treated at the scene and taken to hospital – it is believed that one of the victims is in a life-threatening condition.

The attacker had been under active surveillance and the attack was Islamist-inspired, according to media reports.

The attack took place on Streatham’s busy High Road at about 2pm.

Responding to the concerns of local people Bell Ribeiro-Addy, MP for Streatham, told LBC radio: “It’s obviously a completely terrible thing to happen in our area but the people of Streatham are resilient and they shouldn’t be afraid.

“The police do have the situation under control. Obviously, we shouldn’t make it an issue to divide us because that’s what terrorism is. If we are afraid and if we are divided, then the terrorists ultimately win.”

STREATHAM ATTACK: Police pushed people back from the scene (Photo: Dave Chawner)

In a statement Met Police deputy assistant commissioner Lucy D’Orsi said: “At approximately 1400hrs on Sunday, 2 February two people were stabbed in Streatham High Road, Lambeth.

“As part of a proactive Counter Terrorism operation, armed officers were in immediate attendance and shot a male suspect, who was pronounced dead at the scene. A third person also received minor injuries – believed to have been caused by glass following the discharge of the police firearm.

“A device was found strapped to the body of the suspect and specialist officers attended.

“Cordons were put in place and it was quickly established that this was a hoax device.

“Three victims have been taken to south London hospitals. One man is being treated as life-threatening, one woman has non-life threatening injuries and another woman has minor injuries.

“My thoughts are with the victims and their loved-ones at this time.

“The situation has been contained and officers from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command are now leading an investigation into the incident. The incident was quickly declared as a terrorist incident and we believe it to be Islamist-related.”

This story is developing. More to follow…

Comments Form

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*

Support The Voice

The Voice Newspaper is committed to celebrating black excellence, campaigning for positive change and informing the black community on important issues. Your financial contributions are essential to protect the future of the publication as we strive to help raise the profile of the black communities across the UK. Any size donation is welcome and we thank you for your continued support.

Support Sign-up

Related